What should I do to protect myself from interruptions to my electricity supply?

Whether planned or unplanned, your electricity supply might be interrupted for a number of reasons. Minimise the risk of damage to electrical appliances like computers, televisions, stereos, washing machines, dryers and heat pumps by installing surge protectors, power conditioners, UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply), RCDs (Residual Current Devices) and isolating transformers. Find out the best solution for your home by asking advice from a local electrician or electrical outlet. If there’s an interruption to your electricity supply, or your supply voltage drops, switch off all electrical appliances at the plug socket. This will help to prevent damage if there’s an electricity surge when the supply comes back on. We also recommend that you have insurance that covers you for loss or damage due to electricity supply interruptions or fluctuations.

What should I do to protect myself from interruptions to my gas supply?

If you own the appliance, it’s up to you to maintain it and arrange an annual gas safety check. Be sure to always use a Gas Safe registered engineer from the Gas Safe Register website. If you smell gas or are concerned about gas safety, please call the Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999. If you think you’ve lost the gas supply to your gas appliances, first check that your gas meter is displaying ‘ON’ rather than ‘OFF’. If your meter is displaying ‘ON’ and you’re still not receiving a gas supply to your appliances, please call the Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

What happens if there is a power cut or meter fault?

Think you have a power cut? If there’s a power cut in your area, simply call 105 for free. You can also call 105 if you spot damage to electricity power lines and substations that could put you or someone else in danger. It doesn’t matter who you choose to buy your electricity from - anyone can call 105. If there’s a serious, immediate risk you can call the emergency services too.

Think you have a meter fault? First, check if there’s a real emergency, like a live wire, that needs immediate attention. Keep well clear of any live wires and don’t touch any part of your meter. Call your Network Distributor quickly and get the problem resolved straight away. You can find out who your Network Distributor is by going to www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.

You can also find a map of the Network Distributors and their phone numbers at http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html. If your Network Distributor tells you there's not a problem with your supply, there could be a fault internally and you’ll need to call a qualified electrician.

What do I do if I smell gas?

If you think you can smell gas and might have a gas leak, or you’re worried about one of your appliances, call the Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999. You can also call this number if you’re concerned about one of your appliances giving off carbon monoxide (CO), but remember that you can’t see, smell or hear CO.

If you smell gas but you’re not in immediate danger:

  • Call National Grid's Gas Emergency Service Freephone number 0800 111 999 (call from a landline at a different property or from a mobile phone, away from the leak).
  • Open all the doors and windows.
  • Don’t smoke, light a match or any other naked flame.
  • Don’t turn lights on or off and avoid using other electrical switches and appliances as this could trigger an explosion.

If you or your family are in immediate danger, exit the premises immediately and call 0800 111 999.

Sainsbury's Energy live chat