Payment and Billing
How do I pay for my energy?
The easiest and most convenient way to pay is via direct debit. You can set this up when you switch to Sainsbury's Energy, and the money will be debited from your bank account on your preferred payment date. Whenever you provide a meter reading we will update your account and let you know if you need to change the amount of your direct debit based on your usage. If this doesn't work for you, we can arrange for one off payments, but this isn't the easiest way to manage your account and it's best you give us a call to discuss the alternative options. You can contact us on 0800 088 4127 and our lines are open Monday to Friday between 9am to 5pm.
How and when will I get a bill?
We'll send you an Account Review email every month rather than paper bills in the post. This shows how much energy you’ve used and how much it has cost.
Will I be charged extra if I pay by credit card?
We don't charge transaction or convenience fees. If you choose to pay by debit or credit card a £1 pre-authorisation transaction will be charged to your card. This is just to verify your card, With VISA debit cards, this transaction may be reapplied each day for up to 10 days before it is cleared. Please note we can only accept card payments over the phone. If you'd like to make a payment, please contact us on 0800 088 4127 Monday to Friday between 9am to 5pm.
How will my monthly payments be set up?
- Direct debit verification: If you choose to pay by direct debit, we just need to check that your address details are correct. To do this we’ll send you a letter with a five-character confirmation code. When you receive it, all you need to do is log in to your Sainsbury's Energy account and enter the code when asked.
- Credit card or debit card verification: If you choose to pay by debit or credit card, a £1 pre-authorisation transaction will be charged to your card. This is just to verify your card, so there is no actual charge to you. Once your card has been verified it'll disappear. With Visa debit cards, this transaction may be reapplied each day for up to 10 days before it's cleared.
Can I change the date of a payment?
Of course. If a scheduled payment date that we've set doesn't suit you, you can change the date by giving us a call on 0800 088 4127*. You can also change this yourself through your online account - simply log in and go to ‘Settings’, select ‘Account Preferences’ then click on ‘Move Payment Date’ and follow the instructions. This button will only be available when a payment has already been scheduled.
Will I pay the same amount every month?
We give you fixed payments with our Fix & Reward tariff, meaning you'll pay the same amount every month. But it's worth bearing in mind that if you start using more energy, the amount you pay us will increase, even though the price per unit stays the same.
What makes up the Sainsbury's Energy price?
Our price covers the full cost of supplying power to your property, including:
- The cost of generating gas and electricity
- The cost of transmitting and distributing gas and electricity to your home
- Value Added Tax (VAT)
- Service costs such as meter lease and reading, billing and customer support
Will I be charged for additional services?
We'll charge you for any extra services that aren't covered by our normal charges, such as meter readings that you request. But we'll always inform you of the cost before we go ahead. For more information, see our Schedule of Fees.
Why are the prices different for different people?
Like all energy suppliers, our prices vary from area to area and property to property. The amount we charge is based on a number of factors, including:
- Which type of meter you have / the metering set-up of your property
- Where you live / the local network company charges
- When you use energy