What is your complaints process?

We want to make life easier for you, even if things go wrong.

Sometimes things don't work as we expect them to. If that happens then we're sorry, we'll do our best to put things right as quickly as we can.

If something does go wrong, please contact us as soon as it's convenient.

Most problems get resolved straight away and we'll keep you informed while we look into your concerns.

If you'd still like to make a formal complaint, this is what will happen:

Step 1:

Contact one of our helpful staff who will try to put things right straight away:

  • Call: 0800 088 4127 (should be free from all mobiles and generally free from all landlines).
  • Online: Click on the ‘Contact Us’ link on our website, or the ‘Contact Us’ form when you are logged in.
  • Write: Sainsbury’s Energy Complaints, 5th Floor, 125 Colmore Row, Birmingham, B3 3SD.

Step 2:

We’ll do our best to settle your complaint within 10 working days.

If it takes longer than this, we will tell you the likely timescale and keep you informed of our progress throughout.

When we have completed our investigations, we’ll explain what we’ve found and how we propose to put things right.

Step 3:

If you've followed steps 1 and 2 but we're still unable to reach a conclusion, our Head of Customer Relations will review your complaint and what has been proposed as a resolution.

After the Head of Customer Relations has reviewed it, we’ll then send a Final Response letter that explains our conclusive position.

Step 4:

We hope there won't be a need to move on any further - we really do want to put things right if they've gone wrong. But if, after following our complaints process in full, you're not satisfied with our Final Response letter or we haven't been able to resolve your complaint within 8 weeks, then you can pass your complaint over to Ombudsman Services: Energy.

This is a free, impartial service for gas and electricity consumers which investigates customer complaints in a fair and unbiased way – their decision is binding on us. If you go to the Ombudsman Services: Energy before we have completed our complaints process, it is likely they will refer you and your complaint back to us. The Ombudsman can recommend various types of redress that you can either accept or reject but if you accept them, then we are obliged to comply. The types of redress include an apology, explanation, remedial action and monetary compensation in appropriate circumstances.

You can contact the Ombudsman Services:Energy on:


Contact Citizens Advice if you need help with an energy problem – for example with your bills or meters, or if you’re struggling to pay for the energy you use. They’re the official source of free and independent energy advice and support. 

  • Telephone: Call their consumer service on 0808 223 1133 (textphone number 18001 0808 223 1133). Calls are free.
  • Website:
  • And you can make a complaint to the Ombudsman just by filling out the Citizen's Advice complaint form.

Plus, you can find a Know Your Rights leaflet at - it’s been made in partnership with Consumer Futures in partnership with Citizens Advice/Citizens Advice Scotland. It tells you how to get independent information and advice on:

  • How to make a complaint
  • How to get a better deal
  • Reducing your energy bills
  • Your energy supply
  • What to do if you’re struggling to pay bills

To find out more and to get up-to-date information, just go to or call the Consumer Advice helpline on 03454 040506.


You can find out more about our complaints handling standards in The Gas and Electricity (Consumer Complaints Handling Standards) Regulations 2008.

Printed copies of enacted legislation can be purchased from our contracted legislation publisher The Stationery Office Limited (TSO) whose contact details are:

The Stationery Office Limited, PO Box 29, Norwich, NR3 1GN
Phone: +44 (0)333 202 5070 Fax: +44 (0)333 202 5080



Printed copies of revised legislation are normally only available through specialist legal publishers.